Communication is the way we convey our thoughts, ideas, and information to other people. It is not only the words that we speak but also, our tone of voice, facial expression, and most importantly our body language that plays a major role in donning the whole process of communication. A good communication is a result of a whole composition of the seven C’s of communication, which include
Must have 7 C's for Good Communication Skills
The one who is speaking or conveying his thoughts to the other person must be very clear with the manner of his conveyance. It is needed because, if the speaker is not clear about what he wants to convey, the audience will not be able to understand the same. In fact, it is the most vital area to be concentrated on, since it sets the tone for the entire communication process.
Being precise or concise in what one wants to say is the best way of communicating. As, if any information can be conveyed in a manner that is simple and point to point then no one would like to convey it in a whole long way that is usually a wastage of time and nothing else. For being concise, one can always avoid those adjectives, fillers and the unnecessary sentences and make the explanation brief.
When the message you are taking to the audience is solid and formulated in a manner, that makes all the points clear in a shorter way with all the vivid facts and information. Then the other person takes interest in listening to the speaker with more attention. What a concrete message should include is all the details that creates the emotions, and let the audience know why they should care about what a person is speaking.
When the communication is correct, it fits your audience and is a complete error free communication. In order to make the way of your communication correct, or the communication to be correct, it is important that you keep a check on the grammatical errors, spell check is another vital area to be concentrated on as it will give a wrong impression to the other person that if the spellings are not correct , it is possible that the person does not communicates well. Technical terms are yet another issue that arises in the communication process; it is because at times, the terms we make use of in our communication may not be to the level of the audience, which can hamper the whole of the communication process.
The words that one is speaking or the manner of conveyance of thoughts must seem logical. That is, what the person is talking or even writing, the flow of content must be logical and consistent, which means all the points must be connected to the main topic or the main point.
A message that one is conveying to the other person, must be complete in all senses. That is, the, message should include everything that is to be informed to the people and take necessary action if applicable. A call to action means that the crowd that is listening to you must know what you want them to do. Another is, all the relevant information must be included that is the location, names etc or anything that complies with the topic.
This means communication must be done in an open, friendly and honest manner. There must not be any hidden insults or any passive aggression tones used in the process of communication. One must ensure that the reader’s point of view is kept in mind and that a person is empathetic to the audience’s needs.
Tips to achieve Good Communication Skills
A good communication will make sure that the person or the people receiving the information must understand the message sent. Whatever medium or channel a person is using to communicate, one must practice good communication to be able to make sure that the people you are sending your message to will respond back immediately or favourably. Some of the basic yet effective practical tips that help in achieving good communication skills have been explained in the following few paragraphs:
- Firstly, one should, clearly think, define and decide about what you are trying to say or convey. You cannot expect anyone who receives your message to understand it in an efficient manner, until and unless you yourself are not clear about the whole idea. In a professional setting, planning is very important as one has to address a large group of people and thus it must be preplanned and in a way that no hurdles come across while, the communication process is going on. Thinking is yet another aspect, which needs to be taken care of. One must think well before what he has to convey to others so that there are lesser chances of conducting a mistake or offending someone.
- Secondly, awareness of occasion or the environment that a person is in is also very important. One need to choose the way of communication in the same way, as if a person is in a professional environment, he needs to act in a professional manner and make use of only appropriate words without any slangs, informal intonations and must portray an image with good credibility and good manners. On the contrary, in the personal or casual environment, if one is addressing friends, old acquaintances, one must talk in a tone that is more cheerful and inviting that helps provoke ease. Moreover, in a casual communication process, one may use common words or physical contact if permitted and appropriate.
- Thirdly, listening and asking is also a major area of concern when it comes to good communication skills. Listening and asking questions, are the actions that show one’s interest in the communication and more questions one will ask, the more clear will be the idea behind the communication. The good communication is not one sided but a two-way cycle that must involve listening and speaking both.
- Lastly, openness in a communication is very important because if both the speaker and the person who is listening are close-minded, then there are chances that a conflict may arouse out of the communication. However, conflicts are mostly unavoidable in a communication, but still they can be avoided by having an open mind. To have a good communication, one need not always argue. At times, it is needed that we accept other person’s views also as different people have different opinions. In fact, if both the person and receiver are open in nature then there can be good flows of ideas and information between them even if there is a difference of natures between them.
Hurdles in Achieving Success
Communication process always poses varied types of hurdles on the road to success. Some hurdles that come in the way of good communication are like the distance between the people who are communicating in a professional setting and are just aligned to communicate according to the work or the assignment. There is no mutual understanding or a cordial communication between them and this sometimes poses a barrier in a good communication process. Yet another hurdle that comes across the way of communication is the language. One may not understand what the other person is trying to say if there is a language barrier where people have difficulty in understanding each other.
- Stress can also be a hurdle. When an individual is stressed out, he cannot communicate in a proficient manner, which may give a wrong impression to the other person and in turn, the communication can go worse. Feedback is one of the most important aspects in the process of communication as it ensures that a person has understood the idea behind the communication or not.
- However, at the same time, it can become a barrier as if there is improper feedback. For example, it may even lead to a loss of interest of the speaker as it may give him an impression that he is not being heard to. However, it is very necessary that these communication obstacles be combated. Some of the ways to overcome these obstacles in the good communication process include:
- Consulting people who have successfully overcome obstacles can be a great help in overcoming hurdles throughout the process. As every person has his own thoughts and viewpoints, one will get to know more, discuss well and this will allow the person to go through an array of knowledge, thus making the communication more effective.
- In an organizational structure, the superiors can always foster expression among the various employees by making shorter command chains and encouraging the employees for better feedback. Making more teams rather than doing projects individually will build up good communication between the various professionals.
- One needs to be consistent in the way he/she communicates because if the message to be conveyed is done in a manner that is not consistent and the flow of information is such that rather than giving a clear view it is confusing the person more, then the communication will no longer remain effective. So maintaining the consistency of message or the information is very important.
- Another obstruction that generally comes in the way of communication is the manner of writing or simply the writing skills. The writing skills of a person show how much knowledge a person has about the topic. Moreover, a good written communication skill helps in overcoming the semantic barriers of good communication. It is because when the person will write, he will concentrate on the grammatical mistakes and the spell check, this will ensure a good communication in the end.
- Establishing a strong communication network is another way to finish any hurdles in the way to success towards good communication. Rather than communicating in a small gathering or in a congested way one can always have an open environment for communication whereby there is a chance for everyone to speak freely and in such a way that there can always be a good communication without any obstructions.
- Trust is the most vital component when it comes to communication. Building in the trust with the person to whom to communicate is extremely essential. This is because if there is no trust between the people communicating, they will never open up to each other and this will definitely pose an obstruction in the communication process. To have a good communication, it is mandatory that there is trust between two people.
Skills required for a Good Communicator
Thus, all what is needed to be a good communicator is the way of communication and some practice that is needed to learn anything new. Apart from these, some of the things to be kept in mind to be a good communicator include:
One must never give a sign of negative communication. A good communication demands a positive attitude with hands open, good eye contact, plenty of smiling, good posture and a better mental attitude.
Be A Wordsmith
When a person comes across an email that is fully overloaded with information with no actual sense then that is nothing but a sign of a bad communicator. Just being able to write efficiently does not confirm that you are a good communicator, but you must also be quick in giving response in a stipulated period, which is more important for effective communication.
Mind Your Context
It is always important that a person keeps in mind the area of work in which he is an expert. Good communication demands the appropriateness in the language of your context. For example, if someone is a teacher of good communication skills, then it is important that the person has a gamut of communication skills because you need to deal with a multitude of individuals and groups and mentor them. Thus if you are efficient in your context, only good communication will come across your way.
On Paper And In Person
A good communicator needs to be true on paper as well as person. For example, in a resume, if one has written about a vast area of expertise then that must be the same at the time of interview also. This will ensure much better communication.
Henceforth, regardless of whichever field a person belongs to, honing good communication skills will always pay you back repeatedly. If you practice them right, you can be guaranteed with a much smoother professional as well as personal life.