Quitting a job is often difficult and stressful being part of the company for a long time and it becomes more difficult and complicated when you have to write a resignation letter. Although, your resignation letter is considered as a last impression letter, don't use it only to notify about your resignation. Use it also to impress your employer/seniors/HR for further assistance. Consideration of a good and impressive resignation letter makes us to focus towards two important aspects.
- Formatting style of the letter
- Things to be included and not to be included in the letter
There are many who are good in their profession, but, don't know how to write a good formatted resignation letter with the inclusion on positive points when they are planning to quit their job.
A good formatted resignation letter is considered as a clean, summarized, aligned, organized and understandable form. Here, you will get to know the complete process to setup and serve different types of resignation letter with the help of different types of resignation letter templates and set-up strategies that will provide you a proper guideline to plan, write and serve the resignation letter to the desired person.
Complete setup arrangement strategies of a resignation letter
Whether you are serving a printed copy of a resignation letter or email resignation letter, in both the cases, your letter should look neat, tidy, and well formatted. To do so, you have to follow the given below setup strategies to format a resignation letter in neat, tidy, and well-organized manner.
Length of the letter
Keep it concise. Try not to exceed it more than a page and mention only those points in a letter that need more attention.
Font and Size
Generally, it has been seen, a formal letter/document is written in standard font style "Times New Roman, Arial, Arial Narrow, Arial Unicode MS, Cambria, or Calibri" and font size "10 or 12". In the resignation letter, use the standard font style and size to give it a formal appearance.
As like most business documents, your letter should be single-spaced with a space between each section, align your text to the left and space between each line should be Normal (1") margin space.
As we know, two weeks notice period is a standard notice period to intimate about your resignation to your employer/HR. If possible, notify as much earlier as to create a positive image of yours for maintaining a long term relationship.
Set-up the letter
After knowing complete formatting style (length of the page, size & style of the font, and marginal space) of the letter, set-up your letter with the inclusion of the header, salutation, different paragraph sections, complimentary close, and signature correctly.
Let's see how to set-up a resignation letter
Printed copy of a letter: In the case of serving a printed copy of a letter to the HR/seniors, the header part of the letter must include the contact detail of the employee and the employer both followed by today's date. Also, the employee can include the "Subject Line" to the header part after the contact detail.
Employee - Who is resigning from his job
Employer/HR - To whom, the employee is serving the resignation letter for the approval of resignation
Employee Contact Detail:-
Employee Name (both, First name & Last Name)
Employee Address - City, State, Zip Code
Employee Phone Number
Employer Contact Detail:-
Employer Name (both, First name & Last Name)
Employer Address - City, State, Zip Code
Subject Line: Resignation
Email resignation letter: In case of sending an email resignation letter, the header part of the letter should only include the "Email Subject Line".
Email Subject Line – Resignation
- Salutation (mandatory) – In this part of the letter, an employee (who is resigning) addresses the resignation letter to his manager by using his formal name (last name), like; "Dear Mr./Mrs./Dr. XYZ".
- Paragraph Sections - All paragraph sections are common for both "printed copy and email resignation letter".
- Primary & Main Paragraph Section (mandatory) - In this part, notify, you are resigning from your job post with the end date when your resignation will be effective. Before mentioning the date, inquire properly what is the standard resignation policy of the company, most of the time it is two weeks and sometimes four weeks. By considering the standard resignation policy, plan your resignation and mention the end date of your job in the letter.
- Middle Paragraph Section (optional) – In this part, you can mention why you are leaving your current job. Be positive, while mentioning the reason of your resignation. Don't mention anything negative because your letter may become a part of the permanent employment record.
- Middle Paragraph Section (optional) - Unless and until you are unsure about your availability or unavailability with the company after leaving your job, message them, you are ready to help them under the job and after leaving the job. Also, you can mention, if required, you can train your substitute everything that is necessary to acquire my position for company benefits.
- Middle Paragraph Section (optional) – Mention here, how the company can contact you after leaving your job for further assistance.
- Middle Paragraph Section (optional) – Mention here, in your two weeks of the transition period, you will try to complete all pending tasks that have been assigned to you and hand over everything as soon as possible before the transition period gets over
- Last Paragraph Section (optional) - Thank all for giving you a wonderful support.
- Short & Complimentary Exit (mandatory) – Sign-off your letter (printed copy and email resignation letter both) formally and politely, such as "Sincerely, Yours Sincerely, Warm Regards, etc.".
- Signature (mandatory) – At last, end the letter with your signature.
- Printed Copy - If you are serving a printed copy of a resignation letter, then manually sign your letter using pen and below your signature mention your name.
- Email Letter - If you are sending your resignation letter via email then type your name at the bottom of the letter and below your name, place your contact information too.
Note: Above resignation letter set-up process is for both "printed copy of the resignation letter and email resignation letter". In both cases, if you are writing a standard and detailed resignation letter, you can include all mandatory and optional points, but if you are writing a short and straightforward letter you can include all mandatory points and few optional points as per your requirement.
Conform the accuracy: Once you have written your letter, check your letter to maintain its accuracy. There are certain things in the letter need more attention – spellings, grammar, punctuation and clarity.
Final task: Deliver your letter to the correct person. If possible, serve your resignation letter in the hand of concerned person, instead of sending via email.