GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering tests your basic knowledge in engineering subjects. This article describes why you should take the GATE exam and how you should prepare for it.
GATE 2014 notification is already out. You can find more info on this page: http://gate.iitkgp.ac.in/gate2014/. GATE 2014 has lot of changes and is going to be an online examination. So read the full information on GATE website:
- How to fill GATE online Application form
- GATE 2014 important Dates
- GATE syllabus or GATE 2014 Syllabus For all engineering streams
- Eligibility For GATE
- How Many Times One Can Appear For GATE Exam?
- When Will I Get GATE 2014 Hall Ticket / Admit Card?
- Can I Use Calculator in GATE Exam?
- Pre-Final Year Students Exclusion And Future Of GATE Exam
- Check Your GATE 2014 Admit Card Online
Why GATE ?
GATE is not only seen as the exam that you should take to enrol into a post graduate course in engineering, but is also considered as the first level to clear for public sector jobs. Several public sector undertakings such as Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, National Thermal Power Corporation, Power Grid India, etc. have considered GATE score for screening for providing a salaried employment.
GATE is a much sorted option by mechanical, electronics, electrical and civil engineering students who want to continue in their domain than get into IT/ software jobs. Even product companies these days include GATE questions in their placement tests. Preparing for GATE helps you to crack placement tests as well.
How to Prepare for GATE
GATE exam can be easy if you are thorough with the basics of engineering. It is mostly based on the 2nd and 3rd year BTECH subjects. Let me tell you basics are all that you need to crack GATE. Here are a few tips:
- Spend 3-4 hrs daily. Make a time table for your GATE preparation and try to study 2 subjects in parallel. Reading text books on the subjects is better than going through gate preparation materials.
- When you study a topic always understand the what, why and how concepts behind it. This will help you remember the same.
- Try to practice previous 10 yr or at least 5 yrs’ GATE question papers. This makes a lot of difference. Firsly it helps you to strengthen your understanding, helps you recognize what you are thorough with, what subjects you are weak in and what is that you should study more. It helps you to pinpoint on specific topics of each subject and also understand the basic structure of a GATE question paper.
- Try to solve as many problems as you can.
- Work hard on weaker subjects. Group studies will help you better. Each person in a group will be stronger in one subject/topic or the other. This will help you to understand basics better. You can also find out missed out areas/tips if you discuss.
- If you are confident in a subject, try to strengthen the basics.
- When you study note down all the formula. This will help you in faster revision and can be used as reference while solving question papers.
- Get in touch with your seniors/friends who have already taken the exam. Understand from them how to plan the time.
- Always do a revision of subjects.
- Last but not the lease do not stress yourself. Take enough breaks and exercises