A manager is considered as someone who is responsible for managing a group of persons in a firm or business, who also can control the resources and expenses. A manager also manages the execution of tasks, administrate and supervise direction of a group in an Organization. According to John Kotter it is a concept developed in last 100 years.
Whereas, a leader is considered as a person who makes decisions in the interest of the company that other people choose to follow or obey, a person who guides or inspires or motivates others. Is a person who influences a group of individuals to achieve a goal. According to John Kotter it is an age old concept.
Unfortunately, some people believe that leaders are born and not developed. But, Given enough motivation, a desire to improve and a willingness to help their fellow man. Every person has the ability to become a leader. Now let us have a look at various function and objectives of a manager.
Main management functions of a manager are Controlling, Planning, Organizing and Directing. Ideal Characteristics of Managers are Creativity, Good judgment, Character, Courage, Positive Attitude and Administrative skills. Competencies and Skills that should be possessed by a manager are Technical, Interpersonal, Integrative and Imaginative.
Basic Principles of Management
- Come in knowing current strategy, goals and challenges. Form hypothesis on operating priorities.
- Balance intense focus on priorities with flexibility on implementation.
- Decide about new organization architecture.
- Build personal credibility and momentum
- Earn right to transform entity.
- Remember there is no “one” way to manage a transition
Core Tasks of a manager
- Create Momentum
- Master technologies of learning, visioning, and coalition building
- Manage oneself
How to create Momentum
- Learn and know about company, it's past and current financial performance and policies.
- Securing early wins by taking up challenging tasks.
- First, set short term goals and try to achieve it at any cost.
- When achieved make a big deal out of it. Let people know that, you had something really good.
- Adjust yourself to fit into companies long term strategy
- Try to become one of the foundation for change for good
- Have a complete vision of how the organization will look
- Build political base to support change
- Modify culture to fit vision
- Build credibility with your sincere efforts.
- Demanding but can be satisfied
- You should be accessible to everyone but not too familiar
- Try to be more focused and flexible on work
- Be active within your groups. Try to build a rapo with everyone.
- Should make tough calls but it should be humane
- Learn from internal and external sources. Books, online training materials etc.
- Visioning - develop strategy
- Push vs pull tools
- What values does the strategy embrace?
- What behaviors are needed?
- Communicate the vision
- Simple text - Best channels
- Clear meaning - Do it yourself!
- Be self-aware of your strengths and limitations
- Define your leadership style based on your past and present experience
- Get advice and counsel other experts in the industry or your firm
- Advice is from expert
- Counsel is insight
- Types of help that can be taken are
- Advisor traits are
- Enhance your status
LEADER AFFECTS PEOPLE
Let's focus on those things that affect people. Good managers get the most out of their people because they:
- Orient new employees
- Explain policies and procedures
- Provide job information
- Assign work to subordinates
- Describe performance expectations
- Identify personal problems and issues
- Evaluate performance
- Identify training requirements
- Provide feedback